350g cooking apples
1 tsp of each:
Salt, allspice, cinnamon, coriander and fennel.
1/2 tsp of chilli
500ml of Vinegar
- I have used small wild plums that have a very sweet taste. They just fit in our cherry destoner.
|Little helping hands.|
- Cut all the ingredients into bit-size pieces.
- Grind the spices and then put everything in to a preserving pan.
- Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer gently 1-2 hours, stir frequently at the end so as not to let it burn. The chutney should look thick and glossy and if parted with a spoon there should be a trail.
- Put the chutney in to warm sterilized jars with vinegar-proof lids. Store in a cool dark place for 1 month before eating.
- Chutneys can be eaten with lots of things like curries, cold meats and cheeses. Plum chutney is especially nice on hot buttered toast with cheese. Hmmmm Yum.