Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Garden Salads

One of my favorite things to eat in the summer are salads, I could eat them every day.  Its even better when the ingredients come straight out of the garden. Salads are a really good food to eat in the summer, they can be cooling, light and refreshing for the body on a hot day.  Here are two salads I made using mostly ingredients from the garden.    

 

  •  First I made a Greek style salad with tomato, cucumber and basil from the garden, I then added some Greek feta cheese, a splash of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.  This is one of our favorite salads, I make it a lot using ingredients that I buy but it tastes even better when they from the garden.                                                
  
  •   Next I made a green salad with chicken.  In this salad I normally just put in whatever is growing in the garden.  For this one I picked some lettuce, rocket and peas. 
   

  • The peas give the salad a great taste and texture but can take a long time to pod. I had some little helpers so it didn't take too long. To make sore the peas stay crunchy I only cooked them in boiling water for 2 minutes.

  •   I also added some parsely, chives, calendula and borige (the little blue flowers) for flavor and colour.

    • The chicken I fried in a pan with some olive oil, honey and mustard. I then mixed all the ingredients together and squeezed a lemon on top. 
    These salads make a really delicious light supper on a hot summers day.  For which I hope there will be a lot more to come. 
     

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment