One of my favorite things to eat in the summer are salads, I could eat them every day. Its even better when the ingredients come straight out of the garden. Salads are a really good food to eat in the summer, they can be cooling, light and refreshing for the body on a hot day. Here are two salads I made using mostly ingredients from the garden.
- First I made a Greek style salad with tomato, cucumber and basil from the garden, I then added some Greek feta cheese, a splash of olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. This is one of our favorite salads, I make it a lot using ingredients that I buy but it tastes even better when they from the garden.
- Next I made a green salad with chicken. In this salad I normally just put in whatever is growing in the garden. For this one I picked some lettuce, rocket and peas.
- The peas give the salad a great taste and texture but can take a long time to pod. I had some little helpers so it didn't take too long. To make sore the peas stay crunchy I only cooked them in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- I also added some parsely, chives, calendula and borige (the little blue flowers) for flavor and colour.
- The chicken I fried in a pan with some olive oil, honey and mustard. I then mixed all the ingredients together and squeezed a lemon on top.